This cupcake is long overdue, but regardless of the change in holidays this cake is still FANTASTIC and I couldn’t deprive you. It’s rare for me to bake something I instantly love and even rarer for me to eat multiple cupcakes after all the work is done. After I sample the batter and the naked cakes and the frosting still in the bowl I don’t often have room left for the cupcakes.
This is cupcake is the perfect treat during winter months. Enjoy!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup walnuts (optional)
- 5 oz cream cheese, softened
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
Preheat oven to 350°F with rack in middle. Place cupcake liners in your cupcake tins.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices.
- Beat butter, brown sugar, and vanilla with an electric mixer at high speed until pale and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition, then beat in applesauce. At low speed, mix in flour mixture until just combined, then stir in walnuts (if using).
- Scoop batter evenly into pan and bake until golden-brown and a wooden pick inserted into center comes out clean, 18 to 20 minutes. Cool in pans.
- Beat cream cheese, butter, and vanilla with an electric mixer at high speed until fluffy. Sift confectioners sugar and cinnamon over cream cheese mixture, then beat at medium speed until incorporated.
- Spread frosting over top of cooled cupcakes.