I know you've seen this recipe before. Here and here, but it's a CLASSIC! Aaand it's also Mr. Goddard's favorite so when I asked for a suggestion last week on what to bake for an upcoming goodbye potluck... Take a guess at what he picked ;)
- 6 oz (3/4 cup or 1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 14 oz (1 3/4 cup) superfine or regular granulated sugar (I used regular)
- 3 large, whole eggs (room temperature)
- 1 egg yolk (room temperature)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup cake flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line two pans with cupcake liners.
Cream the butter and sugar for about 3-4 minutes. Add in the eggs one at time, making sure the batter is well-blended before adding another egg.
In a separate bowl, whisk the flours, salt, and baking powder. In a liquid measuring cup, mix the half-n-half and extract. Pour in a 1/3rd of the dry and a 1/3rd of the wet ingredients and continue to alternate, ending with the flour mixture. The batter should be thick.
Scoop batter into the cupcake liners, I use an ice cream scoop and the cups are about 3/4 full. Bake the batter for 17-20 minutes, depending on your oven.
- 8 oz. unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 6 cups confectioners' sugar
- 16 Tbs. (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 6 Tbs. milk, plus more, if needed
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. salt